[CentOS] How can rpm "%{SUMMARY}" not be consistent?

Wed Nov 16 16:19:36 UTC 2011
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:56 AM, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> What you are seeing is indeed odd. I see 'version 3.1' but not '3.2'
>> anywhere on the Summary line of bash. What is your kernel by the way?
>> uname -mr ?
>>
>> Have you cleared yum cache? Not just running a 'yum clean all' but
>> emptying the /var/cache/yum directory ?
>
> Why would yum cache have any bearing on what rpm reported?

In my attempts to reproduce what you are seeing, I used 'yum info' a
few times for the packages that were not on my systems. But in your
case (pure rpm operations) yum cache will not be relevant. By the way
I looked at both CentOS 5 and 6 but did not see any inconsistency. And
the reason why I asked about the kernel version was because it was not
clear which version/release of CentOS you are running. Sorry for the
noise. I will shut up now.

Akemi