[CentOS] bind slave sync takes long

Tue Nov 22 13:25:50 UTC 2011
Tris Hoar <trishoar at bgfl.org>

On 22/11/2011 12:58, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do have two DNS servers running bind 9.7.3. One master, one slave.
>
> If I add/update a record on the master, it takes up to more or less 20
> hours until that change is transferred to the slave.
>
> That is a long time for me :-) May be I got some settings wrong which
> would sync much faster ... ?
>
> What could be wrong? What might I check?
>
> Thanks for any suggestion and hint!
>
> 	Regards . Götz

It sounds like the the slave is not getting notifies when the master is
updated. I'd check the NS records first to make sure both master and
slave are listed. Is this server providing external DNS behind a NAT?
It could be that you are trying to to zone transfers over the external
IP to 2 servers on the same external firewall. in this case, you can add
the also-notify { internal ip of slave}; stanza to the named.conf to
force it to notify the slave on updates.

Tris