[CentOS] CentOS fileserver migrating to ZFS appliance

Fri Nov 25 18:19:53 UTC 2011
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

> I've never heard of Samba authenticating off NIS, as Windows (SMB/CIFS)
> and Unix (PAM, NIS, etc) use different incompatible password hashes.  on
> a pure Samba system that doesn't have an external authentication system
> such as Active Directory, I've always had to use smbpasswd to setup the
> SMB passwords for the 'windows' users.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of - that I'll have to install some
directory services.

I'm going to start off next week with a call to Oracle.  Just figured
I'd ping the list to see if maybe someone had been here.