[CentOS] CentOS fileserver migrating to ZFS appliance

Sat Nov 26 00:50:01 UTC 2011
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

> if you're running multiple windows systems with a server and DONT have
> centralized authentication, you have a mess.
>
> if you're not running windows systems, then why are you using SMB ?
> NFS is the native file sharing system for Unix and Linux systems.

It is a bit of an oddball arrangement.   We are a scientific research
lab within a hospital environment.  Most people use Linux or Mac - and
those who do use Windows connect to the hospital domain.  We don't
have any control over that domain at all - I support the researchers
and am independent from central IT.  When the Windows users connect to
the 5.3 box via SMB they use a local username and password on the 5.3
box, not their central domain credentials.

Hmmm, I probably know what the answer will be, but I could always ask
the hospital to let me connect it to the domain.   Though that could
present security risks that I don't want to deal with.