[CentOS] DHCP_HOSTNAME in ifcfg-eth0

Tue Nov 29 14:03:30 UTC 2011
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

> Is there a way for the dhcp client to send the current host name of the
> machine when requesting a lease ?
>
> Currently I have to include a line like
> 	DHCP_HOSTNAME=appserver2
> in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but I would like to
> tell the dhcp client to just 'also send the hostname' and then the
> client to get the current hostname itself, instead of having the name
> hard-coded in the ifcfg-eth0 file.

For some reason I think you need to have "HOSTNAME=" in your
/etc/sysconfig/network file .. meaning make the variable blank.  There is
also a dhclient option you can create in /etc/dhcp/dhclient-<int>.conf
something like send fqdn.fqdn <hostname> but usually you don't need that
if your use DHCP_HOSTNAME correctly ...

Barry