[CentOS] megaraid/PERC

Tue Nov 29 21:37:09 UTC 2011
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Nov 29, 2011, at 2:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2011, at 1:35 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> I've got two drives from a now-dead server, they were RAIDed, a mirror,
>>> I'd assume. I need to see if there's anything on them I need to transfer
>>> to the replacement, so I just shoved them into another Dell server, with
>>> a PERC 5 controller - I think that's what the dead one had. I fired up
>>> MegaRAID storage manager... but can't see any way to tell it to recreate
>>> that RAID. Anyone done this?
>> ----
>> I wouldn't waste the time with MSM - I would simply use the BIOS
>> configuration for the RAID storage which can easily look at the drives for
>> RAID configuration and load it if it can find it.
>
> Sorry, let me give my conditions a bit more: I don't think I can reboot
> the server - I believe it's currently in use as a development machine by
> one of the teams, so I can't play around with it.
>>
>> That said, I would suspect that the RAID controllers would have to be
>> identical
>>
> I believe it's the same kind of controller, so that's ok. I'm using MSM
> for the above reasons, and that the cli isn't installed.
>
> Playing with this thing, I believe I want to create another drive group,
> not just add another RAID to an existing one, which just seems as though
> it could get really ugly. But when I click on the controller, I can then
> get to "Go To" -> controller, which will let me create a new virtual
> drive, but drive group is all greyed out still. Further, I don't see
> anything that would let me investigate what the documentation seems to
> call a "foreign RAID".
>
> Hope that gives y'all a better picture of my environment.
----
let me see if I get this right... you don't want to play around with a server that's in production now but you are perfectly willing to play around with a server that's in production mode as long as it doesn't involve rebooting?

I think you have a strange notion of safe things to do with a live production server.

Craig