[CentOS] Moving server

Wed Nov 30 13:52:41 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I want to move my home server over to a new machine,
> both running CentOS.
> (The present server is running CentOS-5.7, the new one 6.0.)
> I'm thinking of moving things over one at a time,
> starting with email.
> I'm running IMAP on the server,
> with my email in ~/Maildir/ .
> I'm wondering what exactly I need to copy to the new machine?

If you can run both machines during the conversion, I'd bring up the
new one, then rsync over the home directories and any other data,
making sure the related applications work.  If you make changes to the
IMAP server, there is an imapcopy utility that will move all mail to a
different type of server - or for a few accounts you can just recreate
the folder structure from a client, connect to both accounts and drag
the messages over, letting the servers take care of the
storage/formatting details.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com