[CentOS] megaraid/PERC

Wed Nov 30 23:40:44 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Nov 30, 2011, at 1:39 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Ross Walker wrote:
>> On Nov 29, 2011, at 3:35 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> I've got two drives from a now-dead server, they were RAIDed, a mirror,
>>> I'd assume. I need to see if there's anything on them I need to transfer
>>> to the replacement, so I just shoved them into another Dell server, with
>>> PERC 5 controller - I think that's what the dead one had. I fired up
>>> MegaRAID storage manager... but can't see any way to tell it to recreate
>>> that RAID. Anyone done this?
>>
>> Probably old news now, but in the PERC card's BIOS you want to import
>> foreign config, save it and restart.
>
> Ok, no one else was using one of the two I have available (most are now
> surplussed, so there's only a few left in service) is not being used at
> the moment, so I rebooted, and went into the firmware. Foreign was greyed
> out, unreachable, no matter what I did.
>
> We're probably writing the drives off - there *shouldn't* be anything to
> be recovered on them, but I was just tryin' to be sure....

It may be the drives were software mirrored? Or maybe mirrored with a different controller like a PERC 'i' which works differently then the 'e' controllers.

I have heard of people setting their PERCs in pass-through mode and doing software RAID, or setting the drives up as a bunch of single disk RAID0 drives and doing software RAID, so I wouldn't rule it out.

See if there is a partition table on the disks or a whole disk LVM VG.

> For my own amusement, I installed MegaCli 4, and am trying to puzzle my
> way through the lack of documentation, only the output of MegaCLI64 -?....

The MegaCli is the most archaic utility.

I have a storage server in one of my datacenters that has a PERC 6i and two PERC 6e controllers and I use a combination of MSM framework and MegaCli to manage it.

I'll do an rpm dump when I get a chance and list the Dell/LSI packages installed.

-Ross