[CentOS] Choosing a CentOS version

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Oct 3 17:41:53 UTC 2011

On 10/03/11 10:21 AM, Bade Iriabho wrote:
> - Is there an online resource that lists (compare/contrast) the different
> versions (i.e. 4, 5, and 6) and why you should pick a particular one?

EL4 is quite old, and nearly at EOSL, I'd not be deploying that for any
new system

The choice of EL5 vs EL6 pretty much boils down to preference.  5 is
well field tested, while 6 has a lot of new 'features', but I'd still
deploy 6 for any new system unless you have a reason to stick with 5
(for instance, oracle database server is not yet supported on 6)

> - Is a particular version the best for a web server, how do I know this?

for a webserver without specific additional requirements, you probably
want the latest version.

> - Should or does it matter what version I deploy?

it does if you need newer software than is built into the version you
chose.  For instance, EL5 has Apache HTTPD 2.2.3, Php 5.2.10, and MySQL
5.0.77.  EL6 has httpd 2.2.15, php 5.3.2 and mysql 5.1.52

> - Can assume that once a version is decided upon, one should stick to the
> latest release. i.e. for version 5, go with 5.7 right now?

yes.  regardless of which you install, if you `yum update`, you'll end
up with the latest of the series.