[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:05:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Brian Mathis wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
> >> virtual machine manager on a  just updated to centos 5.7, and they are
> >> both crashing the host machine. They run only  for a few minutes, but
> >> suddenly freeze, crashing the host. Â There is no networking. No X. No
> >> way to drop out of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see
> >> anything in the logs -- messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before
> >> the crash.
> <snip>
> > Is this new hardware?  Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM?  This sounds like a
> > hardware issue to me.

It's about three years old. I had one hardware issue a year ago in which a
video card fried, but it's been great. I will run memtest this afternoon.

> I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
> then it started crashing.

I should run memtest. I don't know of a tool to check the processors. I use
the machine for analyzing data, and often use most of the 32 gigs of memory
in it, but I doubt I've ever seriously stressed the processors.

I created the two guests with the gui, but since they crash, I started one
without starting X on the host, using virsh. The guest and host both stay
up. When starting using  virsh with the --console switch I get what looks
like a telnet connection. But I know almost nothing about Windows and don't
know what to look at. Networking between the guest and host might be borked
-- and that would've been my fault. Then, every time X is running the guest
and host crash.

> One other question: is selinux enabled?

Yes. No warnings, though.