[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:17:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have to use the local video at all?   What happens if you use
> >> freenx and run in a session started from a remote NX client?
> >>

> > Doesn't freenx use X? I haven't installed but will try it.
>
> Yes, it uses X, but it doesn't use the local video hardware.
>
> > What I did try was to leave X off on workstation and built a fedora
> guest. I
> > also connected to the workstation from another machine via ssh and I
> tried
> > running the virt-viewer via X-forwarding, it stayed up for about 10 or 15
> > minutes and crashed. Since I could see the console on the work station
> then,
> > it showed a kernel panic.
>
> Not sure what that means.   Freenx would at least keep the sesson
> active when you disconnect.

I was trying to say, but not very well, that when qemu-kvm is running a
guest and X is running, whether it's on the local video hardware or not, I
get a kernel panic.

So now I've found I can run X without problems and I can run qemu-kvm
without problems, but I cannot run both at the same time.

I wonder if an older version of the kvm package would work around this, or
maybe an older version of the kernel.

kernel: 2..18-274.3.1.el5
kvm: 83-239.el5.centos

> After rebooting I opened a terminal via ssh and it seems ok -- up for
about
> 30 minutes so far, I'll check in the morning.
>
> The trouble with that is I usually connect to the workshop via vnc, so I'm
> not sure the guest will be of much use.

 A vncserver session not attached to the local console should also