[CentOS] Firefox 7 on CentOS 5

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Oct 5 13:50:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:23:46AM -0400, Wade Hampton wrote:
> Anyone have any luck running updated Firefox
> on CentOS 5?  We have CentOS 5 workstations
> and need to update their Firefox but it dumps
> core even when using the libstdc++ from Fedora 9.
>
> I would like anything stable and secure beyond
> Firefox 3 but can't find tarballs for anything
> other than 7.0.1.

I'm running Firefox-7 on Centos 5.7.

Back on (I think it was) Firefox 5, I found that firefox had
dependencies on libstdc++ that weren't met by the lib on centos.

I went digging around on my system and found that some other
programs had their own local copies of libstdc++, so I tried
copying them, once at a time, into the same directory where
mozilla itself keeps some libraries. After a little cut-n-try
I found one that worked.

I've not changed it since, it still works.

Not sure how to discover the version # of the libstdc++.so.6 I am
using, but dong some 'finding' on my system I see that there is a
copy of libstdc++.so.6 in two different places that are the same size
as the one Firefox is ucing. they are 970680 bytes, and the filename
is "libstdc++.so.6.0.9", FWIW.

I also note that Centos-6 works with Firefox-7 without having to
do what I described above. Simplest for you MAY be to excerpt the
libstdc++.so.6.* from centos-6 rather than groping for one, as I did.

Good luck!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?