[CentOS] Migrating CentOS 5 -> 6: where to put /etc/inittab respawn scripts?

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Wed Oct 5 15:42:40 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 05 Oct 2011 15:03:43 Alexander Farber wrote:
> I still have 1 minor problem -
>
> I've created a new file /etc/init/pref.conf:
>
> start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=3
> stop on starting rc RUNLEVEL=[!3]
> console output
> respawn
> chdir /tmp
> exec /bin/su -c '/usr/local/pref/pref.pl >/tmp/pref-`date +%a`.txt 2>&1'
> afarber
>
> And started my script (a TCP-sockets daemon for a game) with
>
> # sudo initctl start pref
> pref start/running, process 2590
>
> I can also see it running with "ps uawx", "netstat -an" and
>
> # sudo initctl status pref
>
> But I can not restart it with:
>
> # sudo initctl restart pref
> initctl: Unknown instance:
>
> # sudo initctl stop pref
> initctl: Unknown instance:

Does your pref.pl fork or daemonize itself?  You may need to add 'expect fork'
or 'expect daemon' to your pref.conf.  Is the PID you get from `status pref'
the same as you see in ps output?

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12