[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Oct 5 18:29:18 UTC 2011

On 10/05/11 11:14 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The whole point of the GPL is to require the release of source (to
> anyone who gets binaries) of any derived work.   Kernel modules aren't
> strictly considered to be derived from the kernel, although there has
> been some speculation that they could be.

the closed source drivers usually have two pieces, clearly seperated.
one piece is open source and interfaces with the kernel, the other piece
implements the hardware specific features (be they wifi or 3D graphics
or what) and is called from the 1st piece, and is supplied as a closed
binary module.

its my understanding that there's NO traces of any linux kernel in
ESXi.   the RHEL that was in the original ESX was the management
console, which ran in VM0 (much like dom0 on a Xen system), and wasn't
the hypervisor.       What I saw poking around a esxi4 install looked
more akin to a stripped down BSD, with a BusyBox shell.