[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:06:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Negative wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> > Negative wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> >> Negative wrote:
> <snip>
> <snip>
> Do I remember this is 5.7? Look at the announcement that *just* came out
> in the last hour, with the libX11 bugfix.
> <https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-1351.html> says "Previously, in
> the 64-bit mode, libX11 computed addresses using the 32-bit arithmetic. As
> a consequence, under heavy load, applications running in the X environment
> terminated unexpectedly. A patch has been provided to address this issue,
> and the crashes no longer occur in the described scenario."
>
>       mark

If this isn't my lucky day. RH and Centos solved my problem even before I
defined it.

I saw the update earlier and didn't dare hope. I updated and it seems to
have solved the issue. On the host machine, I fired up virt-manager, started
the Fedora  guest and it's been up for a half hour.

Now I, too, can start complaining about Gnome 3. I've read it's like
Windows, but it's the spitting image of the Mac OS.