[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems -- SOLVED

Negative

negativebinomial at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 02:40:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>wrote:

>> And, Mark, thanks for mentioning it.
>>

>>> If this isn't my lucky day. RH and Centos solved my problem even before I
>>> defined it.
>>>
>>> I saw the update earlier and didn't dare hope. I updated and it seems to
>>> have solved the issue. On the host machine, I fired up virt-manager, started
>>> the Fedora  guest and it's been up for a half hour.
>>>
>>> Now I, too, can start complaining about Gnome 3. I've read it's like
>>> Windows, but it's the spitting image of the Mac OS.
>>>

> I spoke too soon. Crashed again after being up for several hours. I'm
> running memtest86 now.

After memtest found no errors, I gave another shot at looking for a software
reason for the crashes and found the cause.

I hadn't mention that I messed up the bridge setup. I didn't think that
could lock up the host machine, but it did. Once I had the bridge fixed, the
crashing stopped and network has been working on the guest. So it was my bad
there.

I thought that an incorrect network config would only affect networking, but
it was causing a kernel panic.