[CentOS] CentOS-6.0 Continuous Release ( CR ) repository

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 14:51:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
>
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>
>> Because there is no "standard repository" yet. These RPMs are from the
>> next version (6.1 as we write this) which has not been published yet. CR
>> is just a way to keep up with updates while they work on publishing Centos
>> 6.1.
>
> I've read the various responses, and am not really convinced.
> It seems to me the developers are just making more work for themselves.
> Of course that is their prerogative ...

Look at it differently then.  They're building packages for 6.1, and some pass
QA and some don't.  Equally getting anaconda happy is required.  Until you get
all of that done, you don't get 6.1.  Up that point, why not release packages
that pass QA?  That's CR, so it shouldn't involve an excessive amount of extra
work, but it does offer faster access to the updates.

jh