[CentOS] Virtual host package, command line, I need help

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Oct 13 13:46:13 UTC 2011

chris hawker wrote
==========================

Sorry if I seem a bit dumb in this question, but are these virtual
servers going to be used in a production environment or are they test
servers? Also, in my experience, using a GUI on a server is not really
necessary, as everything can be done from the command line. Yes it may
be easier to do it with a GUI, but if you know what you are doing and
what to do it professionally, stick to using the  command line and
give the idea of using a desktop the flick.

===========================

I do not want to use the desktop. I am in command line. It will not work. You cannot
install a guest (production server, not test) without some kind of installation walk through.
a text install, a vnc, sdl, whatever...it should be able to open a window to do so.

the only way I could get it to work was a full install of gnome and that is not workable.
so little online with KVM and centos6, most are xen.

For some reason the virt-viewer and anything else cannot access my video for some reason.
 From looking online, this is a common issue among command line virt-installs..but no one
ever posts a final solution..lol

So far, after a few weeks of this, I have been unable to install, via command line, one guest.
I cannot get any kind of installer to come up in any kind of window/gui/etc.

very frustrating. Just sitting here with my useless brick of a computer unable to deploy it.
Gonna call supermicro today and ask about the es1000.
Also will try to install xorg to get to the xorg.conf and see if that can help, however most
errors are deeper in the boot than xorg.
Gonna try playing with the devices in grub I guess too.
Was thinking of getting a second card and trying to see if that would work.

bugzilla had tons of people complaining about issues like this one...it is probably the es1000
choking the system....can't think of anything else that would cause displays that try to start to
just die.

However, in full gnome, it works flawlessly...so that theory is a little off... Card must be working.
Must be a setting in the basic 'virtual host' package that needs fine tuning.