[CentOS] Samba + Openldap

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:14:35 UTC 2011

> I would just need to add those attributes in openldap?  I'm not very experienced, that is why I asked for howto/tutorials... I've been building an openldap and samba environment in a staged virtual system, so I can get a better understanding on how it all works.  It seems to me I would have to add additional attributes to all those users and load the samba.schema onto the master server, then go on the samba server and configure it to use ldap?  I'm not so sure, I guess it'll take some time for me to figure it all out...

Yes, you have to add the samba.schema to your openLDAP setup.  The
schema automatically brings in the user attributes.  You will need to
populate them for the Samba specific attributes.  Indeed, doing it in
a virtual machine is a good way to learn about the LDAP+Samba
integration.

As some one else has suggested, smb-ldap tools does the user
management work for both Unix and Samba.  LAM is a PHP based web app
to manage your LDAP setup, it does support the SAMBA extensions.

HTH,

-- Arun Khan