[CentOS] What replaces /sbin/hotplug in CentOS 5?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Oct 21 15:13:21 EDT 2011

Vreme: 10/21/2011 08:07 PM, Robert Heller piše:
> What subsystem replaces /sbin/hotplug in CentOS 5?  The older hotplug
> package is missing from CentOS 5 and /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug yields an
> empty string.  Since hotpluging for standard devices still seems to
> work, I presume that something replaces the hotplug helper found on
> CentOS 4.  Can someone point me in the right place?  All of my
> Googleing points me back to the (obsolete?) /sbin/hotplug subsystem
> (Google is just not being helpful!).  I'm guessing udev and/or HAL are
> involved somehow, but I am having a hard time figuring out what I need
> to do.
> Specificly, I have a special USB device (a PI Engineering Rail Driver
> Console device) that I have written a daemon for that I need to launch
> when the device is plugged in and when the device is unplugged, the
> daemon needs to be killed.  For CentOS 4, I used a script fired up from
> the /sbin/hotplug via /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap -- what to I use for
> CentOS 5 (and eventually CentOS 6)?

I think you are supposed to use udev and /etc/udev/rules.d/

Geting up HP Printer on CentOS 5.x when USB 2.0 does not work properly:

modprobe -r uhci_hcd; modprobe -r ehci_hcd; modprobe uhci_hcd; modprobe

usb_printerid /dev/usb/lp0
udevd restart
service haldaemon restart

If firmware loading during intallation does not work, use:

make install-hotplug !!!
(in /etc/udev/rules.d add 11-hplj10xx.rules file ???)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe