[CentOS] Live CD boot for KVM guest. How?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:35:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Müfit Eribol <hme at onart.com.tr> wrote:
> Just for learning, could you please provide some more info about booting
> up the LiveCD ISO image (uploaded to the host) to work on a guest? How
> is the command line?

Invoking kvm (qemu-kvm) from the CLI:

kvm \
-boot d \
-cdrom /path/name/to/liveCD/iso/file  \
-drive file=${IMG_FILE},index=0,boot=off \
[other kvm command line options like networking]

where IMG_FILE=/path/to/VM/image/file

I use System Rescue CD for the CD ROM.  It does have XFCE GUI support
+ GParted.  A simple startx fires up a XFCE desktop and voila you can
use the Graphical GParted utility on the VM "hard disk".

HTH
-- Arun Khan