[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:53:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

>> >  Even GPL only requires redistribution by upstream to its customers.
>>
>> With _no additional restrictions_ on subsequent redistribution.
>
> Losing access to RHN does not in any way restrict my redistribution of source I already have in my possession.

Errr, what?   What _is_ a restriction if not a penalty applied as a
consequence of doing the restricted thing?  How is, say, being
required to pay a license fee as a consequence different from losing
something you have already contracted and paid for?

> But none of that helps when you need access to binaries to verify binary compatibility, and the AUP for the place you get your binaries interferes, even if you're paying for access to those binaries.  And arguing about GPL won't help, since the GPL does not in any way cover all of the distribution.

That's true, but at least in the past, RH apparently thought GPL
compliance and openness would win customers.  If those customers
leave, it might make a difference.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com