[CentOS] C6: ssh X-forwarding does not work

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 29 07:58:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Do some of the checkbox installs omit it?   I just ran into this on a
> system where I chose the 'web server' install, then wanted to run
> gparted remotely.

Yes, it's definitely possible to install without it.  I've done the same as
you when setting up servers and had to add xauth afterwards to get remote X
working.  It's a real gotcha for people who don't know about it, as other than
DISPLAY not being set, nothing leaps out at you to say it's because xauth
isn't installed.  It'd be quite nice if default ssh emitted a warning message
about this at a non-debug level.

jh