[CentOS] Permission question

Victor Padro

vpadro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 23:02:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:

> Victor Padro wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We own a CentOS Server which hosts a few domains using Cpanel, however
>> each host or domain has its own user and its own folder under /home,
>> we want a separate user(newuser1) to have read and write privileges in
>> all home's subdirectories so we can do some tasks remotely using
>> WinSCP, that user is already in the sudoers group and the root login
>> is disabled in SSH for security, but I haven't been able to assign the
>> correct privileges and rights to newuser1 using chmod -R
>> owneruser:newuser1 /home/owneruserdir, everytime we login with
>> newuser1 using WinSCP to /home and try to change directory to
>> /home/owneruserdir we receive a permission denied message, so I don't
>> know where else to look.
>
> you did give execute permissions to the group members on the dirs?
> if unsure show us
> ls -l /home | grep owneruserdir

This is the output:

drwx--x--x 29 owneruser1        owneruser1              4096 Oct  5
07:15 owneruserdir1/
drwx--x--x 13 owneruser2     owneruser2           4096 Oct  1 02:18
owneruserdir2/

Thanks!

--
"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"