[CentOS] Virtual host package, command line, I need help

Trey Dockendorf

treydock at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 00:57:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>wrote:

> Vreme: 10/13/2011 04:23 PM, Bob Hoffman piše:
> > the way intended for a brand new install just to install a guest via
> > command line.
> > I am thinking new video card.
> >
> > First time sorely disappointed with supermicro...very disappointed
> > unless they have a fix.
>
> 2. Are you aware that you can have one Desktop PC with installed
> Virt-Manager and use it to connect to running libvird (KVM) daemon on
> your server? I have KVM Guest on my C6 Desktop and use graphical
> Virt-Manager to setup new Guests. But, from that same Virt-Manager I am
> connected to my C5 server with C5 KVM Guest, and I can add new systems
> and manage existing ones.
>
> 3. Are you talking about actual VGD graphic card on the Barebone server
> (KVM Host)? If yes, do you know what type of Graphics card you have?
> ELRepo repository (www.elrepo.org) has newer drivers for ATI nVidia and
> Inter graphic cards.
>

> --
>
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic
> (Love is in the Air)
> PL Computers
> Serbia, Europe
>
> Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
> trusty Spiderman...
> StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant

As others have pointed out, a GUI is unnecessary and also a bad idea on a
KVM server.

You'll want to have an account remote into the KVM server that isn't root.
 Use PolicyKit to add a group or user to have rights to control libvirt.
 Then you can either run virt-manager on a Linux desktop to connect to KVM,
or use X11 forwarding via SSH to view the server's virt-manager remotely,
which still won't require a desktop environment to be installed.  I have the
process and details documented here,
http://itscblog.tamu.edu/startup-guide-for-kvm-on-centos-6/.

Hope that helps,
- Trey