[CentOS] c6 xen guest install, golf, and geany (solved)

Mark Pryor

tlviewer at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 06:05:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] c6 xen guest install, golf, and geany

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Mark Pryor wrote:

> List,
>
> Is it possible to do a text install (<512RAM) of C6 server, with support for
> X11 forwarding over ssh, and get geany (editor) to work over ssh?

Yes.

> I got X11 forwarding to work when I have a full Xfce desktop, but not with a
> server setup.
>
> I would like to golf this... IOW find the minimum number of packages.
>
> Any hints or kickstart configs for the needy?

There's really not much you need to install.  Minimal install + xauth + gedit
and I'd have thought you were there.  xauth is the important bit that you can
accidentally miss off.  You just need to check for ssh X forwarding working.
ssh -Y to your server and "echo $DISPLAY".  If it's not defined, you've got a
problem.

jh

I finally got it to work. I think the error was the lack of vfb=[] object during the
initial install. If you have a vfb from the beginning it will work.

I ended up with 267 packages in less than 900MB and all my goals were met:

  ++X11 forwarding works in ssh without an X server install

  ++geany works over ssh

http://paste.ubuntu.com/707751/

next I want to compile a C6 kernel that supports nfs root.

--
Mark