[CentOS] Virtual host package, command line, I need help

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 14 14:14:44 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 13, 2011 02:32:05 AM Bob Hoffman wrote:
> There has to be a way to get a video or text install locally from the default virt host package without
> installing x windows system, gnome, or kde....although many little bits of those packages were installed.
>
> it really feels like my user is not allowed to go into a graphic view of anything relating to guests.
> at least not locally (the only way I would rather do it, do not know how to x-tunnel and all that)

What kind of guests are you installing?  If CentOS, and you can get the console at all, use the vnc installation method and bring up the VNC GUI on a workstation.  Also see the virt-install man page and the --vnc command-line option.

The upstream Beta 6.2 docs may have some information that might help you, assuming it doesn't require beta 6.2 packages to do it....
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/index.html
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/index.html

Also:
http://linuxexchange.org/questions/1265/virt-install-with-vnc-how-can-i-connect-to-the-vnc-port-from-a-remote-computer