[CentOS] What's up with the mailing list?

Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez

lorenzo at lorenzomartinez.es
Mon Oct 17 07:41:31 UTC 2011

El 16/10/11 21:08, John R Pierce escribió:
> On 10/16/11 6:57 AM, Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez wrote:
>> Following your link I only see "Compatible with Windows
>> ME/2000/XP/Vista/7" Are you sure it will work with CentOS 6? I don't use
>> it for print anything, but just to switch on my own home alarm as I
>> wrote here:
>> http://www.securitybydefault.com/2011/04/trasteando-con-una-alarma-de-securitas.html
>> Sorry, it is in spanish, that's my language :) Give it a try with some
>> online translation service.
> that style of programming, poking bits at a physical IO device at an
> assumed port address will not work on anything but a legacy mainboard
> LPT1 port.   any PCI or PCI-E port will be at a dynamic address which
> you'd have to find via the plug and play device registry, or groping
> your way through the output of lspci, which it appears you've been
> doing.. a USB port requires a complex sequence of commands to be sent to
> the USB controller to send data to the port.
>
> my guess is, the newer kernels have dropped support entirely for
> ieee1284 devices.

Hi John,
Trust me, with kernel 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 it works like a charm.
It is true I had to detect by myself the IO port the BIOS assign to the
card and that's all. As I don't have to change daily the card to a
different slot, everything works if I load the driver parport_pc with
parameter io=0x2018.
I was able to do this because if I type lspci, the operating system
detects the card. The problem comes when I start with kernel
2.6.32-131.17.1.el6. Then lspci does not not show the card in the right
way. Instead a message with the text "!!! Unknown header type 7f"
appears in the section of that card.  :(

--

Lorenzo Martinez Rodriguez

Visit me:   http://www.lorenzomartinez.es
Mail me to: lorenzo at lorenzomartinez.es
My blog: http://www.securitybydefault.com
My twitter: @lawwait
PGP Fingerprint: 97CC 2584 7A04 B2BA 00F1 76C9 0D76 83A2 9BBC BDE2