[CentOS] [HW] Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Oct 18 15:22:08 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 03:29 PM, Arun Khan wrote:
> Are the hot swap bays compatible with Linux mdadm RAID?  i.e. Upon
> detection of disk failure, the respective HDD LED on the bay can be
> turned ON?

no, not all are. Only a few work with mdadm ( or rather in a way that
mdadm can work with them, even the basic mdadm hotswap capability is
new'ish. Test it a few times to make sure it works for your setup. ).

> I am trying to reduce the cost if I can get by
> with mdadm RAID10 with additional tools to detect failed drive and

Also, mdraid10 isnt the same as a normal raid-10, unless you meant to
imply that you are doing a raid10 with md-raid tools.

- KB