[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Giles Coochey

giles at coochey.net
Fri Oct 21 14:32:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, October 21, 2011 16:24, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/21/2011 09:17 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:
>>
>> However, if I install whatever latest version of an operating system
>> distribution. I expect to be able to run something that will give me
>> stable security-updates for that distribution.
>>
>> It appears that this is not the case, and my only option is to take my
>> servers down the beta route to Centos 6.1 Release Candidates.
>>
>> Other than that - the only advice given so far is: remain vulnerable to
>> attack.
>
> Do you see anything that says Beta or Release Candidate?

Well, earlier in the discussion, we heard that these updates have not
passed through the full QA process, so it seems QA is being performed by
the userbase, so yes - to me, that sounds like Beta.

> You could always PAY for the original and get the updates as they are
> released ... OR ... you can build them yourself.  We are doing this as
> fast as we can.

Your work is appreciated, look - this isn't an attack on the distribution.
I'm not having a go at the volunteers. Sorry if it came out that way.

> If you need SLA type support, then CentOS is likely NOT the distro for
> you as it does not have SLAs.  It is a distribution built and released
> by volunteers for you to use or not use as you see fit.  If you need the
> updates faster than we can deliver them, you must either learn to build
> them yourself or find another way.

At work I use Redhat, at home I use CentOS, but that doesn't mean it
shouldn't have a sane release process.

> There is nothing BETA about the CR repo ... it is the CR repo.

See my comments above, and review earlier posts in this thread.