[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

R P Herrold

herrold at centos.org
Fri Oct 21 18:04:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On 10/21/2011 12:20 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>> They have created an optional channel in several of those
>>> groupings that is only accessible via RHN and they do not
>>> put those RPMS on any ISOs

>> I've never quite understood how anything containing any
>> GPL-covered code could have any redistribution/use
>> restrictions added.

The GPL, v2, only requires access to sources where one is
providing binaries ... As Johnny noted, this subset of the
binary content are not freely to 'all comers' from the
upstream

As a general rule, CentOS is happy to rebuild freely available
sources from the upstream ... and the upstream is a 'good egg'
in making stuff available.  Anyone wanting more just has to
cause the upstream to expose relevant sources in their
enterprise portion of their public FTP tree

What part of 'not providing access to binary content' is
unclear?

> Trust me ... the Linux Foundation thinks it is OK, so we are SOL.

And indeed, I sat in Eben Moglin's office and discussed this
very topic, some years ago ... straight from the horse's
mouth, so to speak

-- Russ herrold