[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 21 18:19:16 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 12:39 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 10/21/2011 10:01 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Yes, but that used to be transparent, because the centos x.y+1 release
>>> happened quickly so it didn't matter that the update repo was held
>>> back until an iso build was done.
> <snip>
>> Now, for version 6, they have:
>>
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux HPC Node (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation FasTrack (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server FasTrack (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop FasTrack (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Scalable File System (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Load Balancer (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux HPC Node FasTrack (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Performance Network (v. 6)
>> Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
>>
>> They have the same install groups with different packages based on the
>> above groupings, so we have to do some kind of custom generation of the
>> comps files to things work.
>
> Wait, are you saying that a given install group name installs different
> packages, depending on the release name? I mean, if I were working on the
> team, I'd build an Everything release group, and just have subsets, based
> on which release group was chosen.
>
> And what's the FasTrack, as opposed to the non-FasTrack?

No what I mean is, there is an "install group" named "ha" (with a High
Availability description) whose definition might contain 20 packages on
the Server media set, 15 packages on Workstation media set, 8 packages
on the Desktop Media set, and 50 packages on Resilient Storage media set.

CentOS only has one product ... so we need a compilation of the install
information from all of the different media groups ... what you would
have found in the AS type product of EL3.  Only now we have to build
this compilation from all the component parts, or else we can not allow
group type installations from within the installer.

ha was one example, but "office programs" or "graphical internet" are
other examples.

FasTrack is an upstream program defined here:
http://www.redhat.com/rhn/rhndetails/fastrack/