[CentOS] What happened to 6.1

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:13:43 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 07:46:59 AM William Warren wrote:
> Like I said before It it too
> bad RH is doing what they are doing.  It is going to mean the death of
> RHEL rebuilds...look at what is happening to Centos.  Per Johnny's
> statement they can't truly maintain 100% binary compatibility.  It is
> not the Centos team's fault although they are going to be the biggest
> casualty.

If absolute 100% binary compatibility is not required, but admin-level compatibility and source-level compatibility with upstream EL is, Scientific Linux is covering that niche, and has their 6.1 out.

And that's not a criticism of CentOS, either, as the binary compatibility testing CentOS is doing has its purposes.  Again, glad there is CR out there.

The rebuilding per se isn't the issue; testing against the upstream binaries for compatibility without running afoul of the upstream AUP seems to be the problem.

I have a couple of servers on Ubuntu LTS;  after experiencing a few issues I'd say go Debian stable rather than Ubuntu LTS, from experience, if you're going to go that route.