[CentOS] [HW] Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

Tue Oct 11 07:11:51 UTC 2011
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

I have no personal experience with rack mount chassis.

>From the past postings, I reckon there are  members, in this list, who
have experience in rack mount setups and would like get their advice.

To reduce the H/W cost, I am considering Linux mdadm RAID10 on a 2U chassis.

I would appreciate clarification on the following:

In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
hard disks have the following feature?

(a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
(b) The failed HDD can be swapped.

TIA.
--
Arun Khan