[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 i386 DVD

Sun Oct 16 18:05:51 UTC 2011
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

Anybody have tricks to write the i386 ISO image to DVD?

I've tried DVD+-RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R in both Windows 7 (two
different writers) and rebooted into CentOS 6 (x86_64) and tried
cdrecord (now called wodim). On wodim I've tried overburn, reducing
speeds, etc.

All give the same results: the same number of bytes are written -
indicating the disc is full (according to my calculations) and wodim
exits thinking it had a buffer underflow problem.

I had no problem creating the x86_64 install DVD, which is smaller, and
installing it next to my Windows. I just plug in a usb thumb drive and
hit <ESC> when I want to run CentOS there and it works fine.

The inability to create the i386 DVD initially prevented me from trying
to install a desktop system on an old Acer running 4.8 (hasn't been
booted in ... nearing a year?).

I got around that by deciding to put the iso image on an external usb
drive, exporting it via nfs and doing a network install. It had been so
long since I dinked with any of this stuff it took me a couple of days
of googling around, reading man pages, ... to get that working. Mostly
having to do with iptables ports not being open. Sheesh! Black Hats
create a lot of grief with their shenanigans!

Anyway, then it panics when it starts writing the hard drives - I'll
post another mail on that.

Anyway, my life would've (will be) a bit simpler if someone can clue me
in to how to get that image onto a DVD using either CentOS 6 or Windows.

Checksums pass.

Any hints gratefully accepted.

TIA,
Bill