[CentOS] CentOS 6: Increase shared memory limits permanently

Tue Oct 4 16:06:13 UTC 2011
Yavor Nikolov <nikolov.javor at gmail.com>

* shmall is total for all processes (in pages)
* shmmax is the maximum size of single contiguous shared memory segment (in
bytes)
Both should be tuned to be large enough (obviously shmmax should be able to
fit into shmall)

If the memory is locked you may  need to tune /etc/security/limits.conf too.

Another setting which affects shared memory are huge pages (I don't know if
PostgreSQL could utilize that feature)