[CentOS] Migrating CentOS 5 -> 6: where to put /etc/inittab respawn scripts?

Tue Oct 4 21:51:47 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry, for 1 more question on CentOS 5 -> CentOS 6 migration.
>
> On my old CentOS 5.7 machine I have the following line:
>
> pref:3:respawn:/bin/su -c '/usr/local/pref/pref.pl >/tmp/pref-`date
> +%a`.txt 2>&1' afarber
>
> and this has served me well, I don't want to install
> anything else like daemontools etc. - to keep my web-server
> easily reinstallable (or movable to another hoster).
>
> But now I have migrated to CentOS 6.0, added that line
> and the "init q", but nothing happens - as indeed promised
> by the comments in the new /etc/inittab.
>
> Where should I move my line, which docs to read?
>
> The pref.pl is a poll()ing TCP-sockets daemon for a game
>
> Thank you
> Alex

This sounds like something you should be using the 'service' framework
for, instead of inittab.  In CentOS 5 you would create a script in
/etc/init.d and start the service from there.  I'm not yet familiar
with CentOS 6, but I would bet looking for docs on how to do that will
lead you in the right direction.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-