[CentOS] Permission question

Thu Oct 6 00:01:40 UTC 2011
Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/11 1:01 PM, Victor Padro wrote:
>> chmod -R owneruser:newuser1 /home/owneruserdir
>
> chMOD changes the access modes, not the owner:group.  rather, you likely
> should have done...
>
>     chgrp -R newuser1 /home/owneruserdir
>     chmod -R g+rwx /home/owneruserdir
>
> AND you likely want to set the group sticky bit so new files inherit the
> group
>
>     find /home/owneruserdir -type d | xargs chmod g+s
>
> also, you'll want to globally set
>
>     umask 0002
>
> so files get created group write by default.
>

> --
> john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

I did what you just suggest and now I can't see the contents of /home,
seems like I'm jailed on my own home directory, is there a way to know
if I'm jailed and a way to be unjailed if that's the case?

Thank you.

--
"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"