[CentOS] Odd issue with C6 and NIS

Fri Oct 7 10:02:59 UTC 2011
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Stephen Harris wrote:

> You're missing the point.  If the query was sufficiently fast then you
> don't _need_ to worry about caching, and thus cache coherency, speed of
> propagation of changes, inconsistent results between machines etc etc.
>
> Caching is a _kludge_ to hide an underlying problem.  It adds complexity
> and additional failure modes.

In one sense yes, but I don't necessarily see any sense in an 'ls -l' in a
lively directory causing *that* many hits to the information provider every
time when user information changes rarely.

> LDAP is slow.  nscd, sssd, ldapcachemgr et al are all klduges to work
> around that fact.

It all depends on your definition of slow.

$ time ldapsearch 'cn=someuser' >& /dev/null

real    0m0.016s

That's not so bad for a LDAP server with ~100k users is it?

jh