[CentOS] CentOS-6.0 Continuous Release ( CR ) repository

Sat Oct 8 13:46:55 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Vreme: 10/08/2011 03:22 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg piše:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 10/08/2011 02:34 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>>>
>>> I read the outline at
>>> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
>>> and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
>>> On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
>>> Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.
>>>

>> Every minor version is treated as upgrade, not update. If CR packages
>> would be added to existing updates 6.0 repository, what would people who
>> want ONLY 6.0 do? There are many other more compelling reasons, but even
>> this one is enough.
>>

> the vast majority of people who want "only 6.0" don't understand the
> centos release process.
> I'ld say the main reason for CR is conformance to upstream.

There are large systems that are obligated to use only packages from
official releases/packages for security, etc.

Some people could advocate braking from "conformance to upstream", it's
"political" reason, that is why I avoid it.  Separation of individual
minor version is technical reason and enough as a show stopper, that is
why I chose it.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)