[CentOS] Deciding when to do system encryption

Mon Oct 10 20:43:01 UTC 2011
Bade Iriabho <ebade at mathbiol.org>

Hello All,

I have read that system encryption slows a computer down. However, I am more
interested in when to use it. Consider the following scenarios:

1. You have a server in a secured server room on a rack (is there any need
and advantage to having system encryption in this particular case)
2. you have a server sitting in an office that is accessible by everyone
2. You have a desktop
3. You have a laptop

So my questions are: What situations/scenarios do you consider before
implementing system encryption? I guess at the end of the day, I am trying
to figure out the best practices.

Regards,
B.I.