[CentOS] [HW] Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

Fri Oct 14 12:05:05 UTC 2011
Michael Schumacher <michael.schumacher at pamas.de>

Dear Arun,

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 you wrote:

> I would appreciate clarification on the following:

> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.

Don't rely on the LED going on. I mark all my hot swap disks with
labels with their serial number. This label is visible from the
outside without removing the HD.
That way, I can double check that I remove the faulty disk.
Pulling the wrong disk is the last thing you want to risk in a RAID
setup. Relying on a fault LED is close to that.
Also make a list of the HD serial numbers and their position within
the RAID in time. Store that in a safe place.

I pulled ONCE the wrong disk out of a Raid5 array. :-(
You know what that means?

best regards
---
Michael Schumacher
PAMAS Partikelmess- und Analysesysteme GmbH
Dieselstr.10, D-71277 Rutesheim
Tel +49-7152-99630
Fax +49-7152-996333
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Schreck