[CentOS] Hot upgrade from 5.2 Centos to 5.7 Centos

Wed Oct 19 16:00:58 UTC 2011
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 10/18/2011 9:15 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:
>>> Hello Group,
>>>
>>> I am installed some application running on top of Centos 5.2 OS and these
>>> applications are running fine.  However, we are thinking of upgrading our
>>> 5.2 Centos to 5.7 (hot upgrade).  That is we want to upgrade from 5.2 Centos
>>> to 5.7 Centos and not disturb the applications.
>>>
>>> Is it possible?  Could someone please help.
>> It is rare for a 'yum update' to disturb already working applications.
>> It is possible of course, but the point of 'enterprise' distributions
>> is that a lot of care is taken to not break things (i.e. make changes
>> that aren't backwards compatible) within a major release version.
>>
>> Not sure if it is necessary but there were some quirks in the updates
>> along the way that might make it a good idea to:
>>
>> yum update glibc\* rpm\* yum\* python\*
>> before doing a full 'yum update'.
> I might suggest a yum clean all before the above command.  I've seen a 5.0
> yum update to a 5.6 without issue, but there was very little on the
> server.

Actually, I generally do something like this when there is a new version
of yum:

yum clean all
yum update glibc\* rpm\* yum\* python\*
yum clean all
yum update

This lets the new yum version recreate everything so there are less
likely to be any issues.

--
Bowie