[CentOS] guest vms crash host systems

Wed Oct 5 15:11:14 UTC 2011
Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> <snip>
> >> So now I've found I can run X without problems and I can run qemu-kvm
> >> without problems, but I cannot run both at the same time.
> >
> > 'X' should be split cleanly into client and server programs where in
> > X-speak  the server serves the display and keyboard and programs are
> > the clients.   An X client program should not be touching any hardware
> > directly.  But, virtualization stuff might try to cheat.   If you
> > don't need the local console, you might try loading VMware ESXi first,
> > then run all your other OS's as guests under that - you do need a
> > windows box to run as the console when making changes or installing
> > things, though.
>
> Actually, if you do that, you can log into ESX1 - it's actually a modified
> RHEL 3, I think. It's the remote admin GUI that you need WinDoze for.
>
>       mark

VMware's a possibility. Would I need to remove the kvm package?  Do I have
to keep libvirtd off?

I still wonder what is causing this. I couldn't find any mention of a
similar problem, including on my desktop in my office, where I have a very
similar setup, with four kvm guests, two Fedora, one Centos 6 and one
Windows XP.