[CentOS] Installing Ruby gems on RPM-based systems

Sat Oct 8 12:46:57 UTC 2011
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:29 AM -0700 Craig White
<craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> CentOS 6 is new so there's little experience with running ruby packages
> on it but there's really no problem with running 'gem install
> $SOME_PACKAGE' on any system. Realistically, the available rpm packages
> are never going to keep up with the gems so after you get the base ruby
> rpm packages installed (ruby/ruby-irb/ruby-ri/ruby-rdoc/ruby-gems) you
> should probably just quit there and use the built-in gem package
> provider to do everything else. Also, if you are talking about something
> like a Ruby on Rails solution, the more organized setups will use
> 'bundler' to get the application up to speed rather quickly.

That makes sense.

I played a little with gem2rpm but to really be useful there should be a
yum repository of standard gems that tracks whatever ruby's normal upstream
repositories hold (its CPAN equivalent).