[CentOS] CentOS 5.7 PHP upgrade

Mon Oct 10 18:35:08 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM,  <dev at nkmo.com> wrote:
> I would love to use the standard repository, unfortunately the package is
> not found which was how I ended up finding the third part solution. I
> tried:
> yum update php
> yum upgrade php
> yum install php
> yum install php53
>
> root at 378907 [~]# yum --disablerepo=atomic install php53
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>  * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> No package php53 available.
> Nothing to do
> root at 378907 [~]#
>
> I am not sure how to change repositories, not sure what the name is of the
> official CentOS repository is to use the --enablerepo= command or how to
> see if there is a php 5.3.x version available for my installation
> available or if I am beating my head against a wall and the CentOS 5.7 is
> actually incompatible with the newest version.

The php53 package from the standard repo does not work well *, so you
are better off using a 3rd party repo.  General consensus is that the
IUS repo (http://iuscommunity.org/) is the best one to use.

I would remove the atomic repo, install IUS, then install/update php from there.

Side point: Running arbitrary code from the web is a very bad idea, so
you should never do something like this:
     wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh   # BAD!

* It's not so good because it does not provide proper rpm tags that
let other rpms know that php is installed.  It announces itself as
"php53", and most package looks for "php", so they can't find it.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-