[CentOS] Deciding when to do system encryption

Tue Oct 11 14:43:23 UTC 2011
Bade Iriabho <ebade at mathbiol.org>

Thanks guys, Paul you make very good points. Noted...

>> 1. You have a server in a secured server room on a rack (is there any
need
>> and advantage to having system encryption in this particular case)

> Only if there's requirements from above... or if you're going to be
> pulling drives as backups, say, and taking them out of there.

Very interesting, Your response just gave me another question :) If I have
system encrytion on a server with RAID (dont think the type matters, but
lets say RAID 5) and hot-swappable drives and one drive fails. What happens
when you replace the drive, how do you handle rebuilding the data on the new
drive with system encryption? are there online resources/links for handling
rebuilding the data on new drives when the server/PC already had system
encryption. Or are my questions/thoughts on this way of course.

B.I.