[CentOS] [HW] Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

Tue Oct 11 16:49:30 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/11/11 7:29 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>> that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
>> >  you have.
> Does these bays have a connector (+ cable) that is connected to the
> motherboard or RAID card to control the HDD LEDs in the bay?
> (sorry if this appears basic but I have no experience with such hardware)

typically, a server will have a SAS backplane which sas/sata drives hot
plug into, and 1 or more 4 channel SAS ports that plug into the host bus
adapter or raid controller.  this SAS backplane usually has a 'SES'
controller[*] embedded on it, which appears to the host as another SAS
device, and manages the LEDs.   If its a brand name server (hp, dell,
ibm, etc) using the vendor's raid cards, the LEDs all just work.    if
its whitebox stuff, with JBOD, getting the right failure LEDs to come on
may require some custom configuration.

[*] SES supercedes the earlier SAF-TE design for the same functionality.