[CentOS] Emergency help needed on host network randomly stop working.

Wed Oct 12 09:58:53 UTC 2011
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Wednesday 12 October 2011 03:43, the following was written:

>  Hi,
>    This is a Centos 5.5 host with one xen guest.
>    About 2 weeks ago, the host randomly lost network connection. By
>  this I mean I could not connect to the services on it, or ping it.
>  Also was the status of the guest.
>    From serial console, I connected to the host, trying to see what
>  happened. No clue (any error messages) in messages or dmesg.
>  ifdown/ifup the interface did not help, either. Only rebooting was my
>  only choice.
>    Searching through Google, I got the information that some other guys
>  met similar problem, and resolved by setting stp on with the bridge
>  interface.
>    I set it, too. And the problem still occurs.
>    Any idea what I should check now?

I am no expert but it sounds like you might be in the early stages of hardware
failure.

Next time this system stop responding check the following:

1. System interface state
2. Connected switch interface

If the switch shows down but the system shows up I wold start by replacing the
NIC on the system.

--

Regards
Robert