[CentOS] CentOS-6 install on 1 Tb drive fails

Mon Oct 17 18:12:26 UTC 2011

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am attempting to load CentOS-6 onto a ST31000524AS 1Tb
> SATA drive in a Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 system.  The
> BIOS sees the drive and the CentOS install process sees
> and initializes it as well.
>
> However, even when I accept the default partitioning, I
> get an error during the drive formatting prior to
> installing the OS.  The error message is: "Could not
> commit to disk /dev/sda".  I get this error whether the
> drive is configured as IDE or AHCI in BIOS.
<snip>
> Does anyone have any idea as to what might be happening here?

Have you tried putting the drive in another system and see if it's
recognized correctly? Also, if you put the old drive back, does it work?

What I'm looking for is whether you have a hardware problem, either m/b or
drive... or controller card.

        mark